Western Vista Credit Union Warns Against Possible Phone Scam
(May 10, 2019) — Cheyenne, WY — Western Vista Credit Union has received reports of a possible phone scam in which the caller is spoofing the credit union’s 800 number in attempt to gather personal information from credit union members.
“Western Vista employees will never call you and ask for personal information such as your social security number, account number or answers to your security questions,” said Steven Leafgreen, president/CEO of Western Vista Credit Union. “Criminals are becoming more sophisticated, manipulating caller ID in an attempt to imitate credit union personnel.”
If a member receives a call of this nature, they are advised to immediately hang up and call the credit union directly at 307-634-2197 or 307-234-8194 to verify the legitimacy of requests for information.
- NEVER provide your Social Security number, credit card numbers or bank account information to anyone during an unsolicited phone call.
- Don’t give in to high-pressure calls seeking personal information.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to represent your financial institution, hang up and call the customer service number on your statement or the institution’s website.
- Notify your financial institution if you suspect your account may be subject to fraud. Request a freeze on your accounts and credit/debit cards.
- Regularly monitor your credit.